Anglicanism

The Chapel of Saint Barnabas is our oasis in a busy world. The weekly service of thanksgiving and praise, held each Wednesday morning, provides a worship focus for the community. Staff and students present worship for the Sub School groups in a fortnightly rotation.

Methodist Chapel Old Photo

Everyone is welcome to the Family Services held at 4.30pm on the third Sunday of each month.

Baptism and Marriage and Memorial Services occur in consultation with the Chaplain.

The Chapel building was built in 1928 and opened in 1929 as the Methodist Church on the corner of Bridge Road and Brooks Street in West Mackay.

In 1977 the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian Churches united to establish the Uniting Church in Australia. The building became the home to Lifeline until 1998 when it was sold to Whitsunday Anglican School..

The furniture came from St John the Baptist Anglican Church in North Eton which closed in 1999. THe font is a clam shell that originally came from the Pacific Islands via the Anglican Church at Mandurana. 

The building was moved to the present site at the School in 1999.

99-017M Welcoming new chapel 99-038G Chapel 99-038K Chapel 99-038M Chapel

In 2000, the decision was made to restore the building for use as the School Chapel.

On 01 June 2001, The Right Reverend Clyde Wood, 8th Anglican Bishop of North Queensland, consecrated the Chapel for the School faith community.

01-023C Blessing of chapel 01-023D Blessing of chapel

On 29 April 2011, The Right Reverend W J (Bill) Ray, dedicated the Chapel Garden of Memories and of Peace in loving memory of Mrs Mabel Gard 1902-1906, mother of Mrs Irie Dalrymple.

P1210243 P1210334

 

Share this