Houses

Three of the houses are named after the Mackay Parishes of St Ambrose, St Charles and Holy Trinity. The fourth house is named for the Brotherhood of St Barnabas, to recognise their support as our first donors.

The house system has developed as a means of conducting competition within the school in academic, sporting and cultural fields.  It is also integral to the school’s pastoral care system.

Our houses

Ambrose Houseambros

Ambrose House was named after St Ambrose Parish, North Mackay. Its patron, Saint Ambrose, was born at Trier in 334 AD or 340 AD and died at Milan on April 4, 397 AD.  His feast day is December 7.

barnabas

Barnabas House

Barnabas House was introduced in 1991 and named after the Brotherhood of St Barnabas, who gave the first donation to the school.  The brotherhood is an Anglican order which was designated as a teaching community in 1958 in Ravenshoe, North Queensland, where it ran St Barnabas Boys School as a branch school of All Souls’ Charters Towers. Its patron, Saint Ambrose, was born at Trier in 334 AD or 340 AD and died at Milan on April 4, 397 AD.

charlesCharles House

Charles House was named after the Anglican Parish of St Charles, West Mackay.  Its patron, Saint Charles 1 (1600-1649) was the King of Britain and Ireland from 1625.  Charles found a considerable party among the clergy of the time who were disposed to abandon the Calvinistic views which had been predominant in the previous century, and to welcome a theological position much nearer to traditional Catholicism.

trinityTrinity House

Trinity House takes its name from this Parish of The Holy Trinity, Mackay. The season of trinity covers almost half of the Church’s calendar, during which time the general teaching of the Christian faith is systematically covered. On Trinity Sunday, our attention is focused on the central teaching of the Christian fait—that the God we worship exists in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Share this