Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Whitsunday Anglican School has adopted a BYOD approach to technology usage across the School. This model gives parents and families a personal choice of selecting equipment (including accessories) to suit the individual needs of each student. BYOD is becoming more common in the education sector as well as business.
Student devices are not “joined” to the School domain, rather they will connect to the School wireless network for internal and external internet access.
The School will be providing students with enterprise-grade communication and productivity services as part of a Microsoft Office 365 education subscription at no charge to families. Office 365 provides cloud based data storage, Office products online, and access to install Microsoft Office on student owned devices. The online component will be a gradual implementation, and is reliant on higher speed internet.
There are 2 options for student Laptops:
- Purchase a new laptop
- Purchase a new laptop either Windows or Mac, for the school’s environment Windows devices are preferred.
- Minimum laptop specifications: greater than 11” Screen, i5 Processor, 4GB Ram & 128 GB HDD.
- Windows 10 or above is still preferable
- Microsoft Office is available from the student’s Office 365 account at https://www.office.com for you to install.
- Laptop must have a physical keyboard.
- Trend Micro Antivirus will be provided by the School for all devices.
- Use existing owned laptop
- Laptop specifications are as above.
- All student data will be stored on individual laptops.
- Students will have access to network drives at school
- Students will have access to Office 365 – One Drive for Business cloud storage available from any internet enabled device
- Teachers will advise students on any software that is required. This software can either be installed at home or at school with onsite IT assistance.
The School has onsite IT Support to assist with:
- Assistance with connectivity to the school wireless network;
- Assistance with School required software installations and troubleshooting.
- Installation of Trend Micro Antivirus.
- To provide recommendations.
We request that students use only one laptop connected to the School’s network. It is envisaged however that students will be allowed to bring additional devices in the future to assist in their learning.
It is recommended any device used within the school is adequately covered by family / household insurance policy for theft and damage.
If you would like more details or have further queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org