Whitsunday Anglican School – Co-curricular Program
Activity: HATS Coordinator: Mrs. Natalie Sunner
Whitsunday Anglican School offers a Homework Assistance (Junior School) and Tutorial Scheme (Senior School) free of charge. The Homework and Tutorial Scheme has been a unique part of the School’s offerings for over a decade. Students, formally from Year 5 onwards, are encouraged to be involved in this optional internal tuition program. HATS has been a unique part of the School’s offerings for over a decade.
The teaching staff of Whitsunday Anglican School drive this program by committing to a minimum of one hour of their time per week, after school, every Tuesday to Thursday, to further enhance the depth of knowledge of the student’s curriculum areas.
HATS is provided for:
- Years 5-6 students
- Years 7-8 students
- Years 9-12 students
Teachers will be allocated to each afternoon and will provide homework and tutorial assistance to support each student’s learning.
Please note, that all students remaining on campus after 3:30pm will be directed to the appropriate HATS venue for adequate supervision.
- the opportunity to learn in small groups
- help with problem solving strategies
- specific assistance with learning to work independently
Time: Tuesday through to Thursday 3.15-4.15pm
- Years 5-6 students: M 4-8
- Years 7-8 students: Trim 8-9
- Years 9-12 students: Mienert Centre
Students at WAS have a good understanding of what is required to achieve their best. However, should any students be seen to be distracting others or not participating appropriately in a tutorial or independent study, they will have a note placed in their diary and their name forwarded on to the Senior School Office for additional follow-up.
• Students must sign in at 3:15pm.
• Students must be organised with all the required homework or assessment materials. HATS is not designed for social activities or infrequent participation.
• Any students remaining in the carpark/pick up area after 3:30pm will be directed to the relevant HATS session for supervision.
• The Mienert Centre is available for students to complete independent study after 4:15pm.
• No mobile phones to be in use in the library or during any HATS session.
• Headphones connected to a computer are permitted during independent study during each HATS session.
Please feel free to contact the activity coordinator at any stage if you have any queries or concerns.