Information Services includes Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and Library Services. Information Services is a critical component of any modern teaching and learning environment and forms a very important part of the School’s strategic plan. Whitsunday Anglican School has a number of dedicated high end computer laboratories for specialist subjects but also sees the importance of a 1:1 mobile device environment.
The Meinert Centre
The Mienert Centre provides a central point for both digital and traditional resources. Currently housing a collection of both fiction and non-fiction resources, as well as two electronic learning centres and ample space for classes or individuals or small groups to undertake research. The Mienert Centre exhibits all the aspects of a modern 21st century learning space.
The Mienert Centre offers students and teachers a comprehensive range of resources to enhance the learning journey through the promotion of the enjoyment and appreciation of reading and life-long learning. These resources include audiovisual, journals and magazines and digital resources, as well as a range of printed material suitable for pre-readers through to young adults.
The centre is also the central point for all ICT services including laptop and audiovisual support and maintenance.
Our goal is to create a progressive, user-centred information centre, committed to the development of information literate learners and cyber citizens in an ever-changing teaching and learning environment.
- To empower students to become independent learners, who can choose and use appropriate and relevant resources.
- To create and maintain a relevant up-to-date resources which meets the needs of users and supports the teaching and learning within the school.
- To provide a vibrant and dynamic, user-centred area, reflective of the standards set out in the schools’ core values.
- To provide friendly support for the school community.
- Mienert Centre: 8.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Thursday, 8.00am to 4.00pm on Friday
- ICT support is available from 8.00 am to 4.00 pm, Monday to Friday.
Whitsunday Anglican School is a leading school in the district in its use of ICTs from Kindergarten to Year 12. In this digital age, students need to be highly literate in ICT and increasingly expect to be able to use such technologies in their learning. Our school is committed to developing digital pedagogies to support the integration of these technologies.
We have taken a major step forward in the use of computer technology within our curriculum. Our early experience with the use of computers prompted us to restructure our approach to teaching and learning and what we consider as important in educating students for life and work in the twenty-first century. In particular, we have made a substantial shift from learning to use technology to using technology to learn.
At Whitsunday Anglican School, we want students to be active users of technology. Students use mobile computers as multipurpose tools for research, productivity, communication, presentation, reflection and thinking. The advantage of a mobile computer is that it is the student’s own portable learning and communication tool.
The Vision IT program is unique in Mackay and one of few in Queensland. Whitsunday Anglican School believes that a mobile computer combined with access to information in a digital learning environment is a vital tool for students. The use of mobile computers will be embedded throughout the school curriculum to provide flexibility in teaching strategies and to enhance student learning. Students greatly benefit from access to this productive, creative and timesaving tool whenever and wherever they need it.
2018 Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
WAS has adopted a BYOD approach to technology usage across the School for Years 4 to 12. This model gives parents and families a personal choice of selecting equipment (including accessories) to suit the individual needs of each student. BYOD is becoming more common in the education sector as well as business.
Student devices are not “joined” to the School domain, rather they will connect to the School wireless network for internal and external internet access.
The School provides students with enterprise-grade communication and productivity services as part of a Microsoft Office 365 education subscription at no charge to families. Office 365 provides cloud based data storage, Office products online, and access to install Microsoft Office on student owned devices.
There are 2 options for student Laptops
- Purchase a new laptop
– Purchase a new laptop either Windows or Mac, however, for the school’s environment Windows devices are preferred.
– Minimum laptop specifications: greater than 11” Screen, i5 Processor, 4GB Ram and 128 GB HDD.
– Windows 10 or above is still preferable
– Microsoft Office is available from the student’s Office 365 account at https://www.office.com for you to install.
– Laptop must have a physical keyboard.
– Trend Micro Antivirus will be provided by the School for all devices.
- Use existing owned laptop
– Laptop specifications are as above.
- All student data will be stored on individual laptops.
- Students will have access to network drives at School.
- Students will have access to Office 365 – One Drive for Business cloud storage available from any internet enabled device.
- Teachers will advise students on any software required. This software can either be installed at home or at the School with onsite IT assistance.
- Special software that is required in the classroom can only be downloaded at the School.
The School has onsite IT Support to assist with:
- Assistance with connectivity to the School wireless network.
- Assistance with School required software installations and troubleshooting.
- Installation of Trend Micro Antivirus.
- To provide recommendations.
We request that students use only one laptop connected to the School’s network. It is envisaged however that students will be allowed to bring additional devices in the future to assist in their learning.
It is recommended any device used within the School is adequately covered by family / household insurance policy for theft and damage.
If you would like more details or have further queries, please email email@example.com.