New STEAM Centre
STEAM Centre – Science | Technology | Engineering | Arts & Design | Mathematics
Supporting STEAM skills for the future…
In 2022 work commenced on an exciting advanced technological learning hub at Whitsunday Anglican School.
Due to be open in late 2023, the new STEAM Centre is designed to link in with the region’s industry strengths and provide students with critical skills for the future in STEAM – Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts & Design and Mathematics.
A first for the Mackay and Whitsunday region, the world-class facility will be accessed by students from Kindergarten to Year 12, placing them at the forefront of innovative education.
The STEAM Centre has been developed through a leading research partnership between the School and the University of Melbourne – Australia’s number one ranked university and world
leader in education.
It will allow students to immerse themselves in areas that directly relate to future skills in health and
biotechnology, the resource industry, engineering, artificial intelligence (AI), 3D printing, robotics, the
Internet of Things, food production, technology and design, and much more.
What will it include?
The two-storey centre will provide:
- A world-class facility for students from Kindergarten to Year 12
- Support to young people to develop the real-life skills they need for success beyond school, facilitating creativity, collaboration, innovation and enterprise
- A Maker Space, tailored for innovation including robotics, drones, constructivist learning 3-D printing and artificial intelligence (AI)
- Cutting-edge scientific laboratories
- Extended experimentation investigation laboratories
- Breakout zones for teamwork, reflection and idea-generating pods
- Learning commons and incubators
- A preparatory room for experimental investigations
- Physics, Chemistry and Biology laboratories
- A tertiary-inspired library, featuring a range of learning spaces designed to enhance and improve study